Under the contemporary world order, the NGO's are shouldering a fundamental responsibility to participate in issuing and implementing social policies. The importance of the Arab civil society organizations, in the current stage, is stemmed from the role it can play in the development process with its different magnitudes, specially that these organizations' role is no longer confined to charity activities as used to be in the past. It is difficult today to talk about the role of NGO's without knowing the impact of this role on changing the reality of individuals in the Arab world
Under the title "knowledge for right", the third Arab civil society forum for children is focusing on; identifying the importance of data in changing children situations and in planning and programming on a right based principle and the apprehension of NGOs to that; as well as the availability of this data for civil society organizations. The absence of efficient programs that cure and protect children of dangers they are exposed to is one of the major obstacles that confronts child development in the Arab world. This is due to many reasons, compiled in two major issues.
- The non availability of accurate data and statistics, quantitative and qualitative, in the Arab world, on children in general and children in danger in particular, which doesn't help in setting efficient and realistic programs that handle problems in an efficient and scientific manner.
- The centrality of childhood programs. The drafting of policies and public services programs is usually carried out in the absence of visions and needs of beneficiaries.
In this respect the ACCD has drafted a study, covered 11 Arab countries, on the role of NGOs in the use of data in a child right based approach. Results of this study will be discussed during the forum for the purpose of drafting definite recommendations on which future programs are to be based.
Within the context of the third forum, the preparatory civil society forum for the 4th Arab High Level Conference, will take place. This preparatory forum will discuss the role of Arab civil society organizations in the implementation of the Arab childhood plan (2004-2015) and their vision for future developments for this plan under Arab and international changing arenas. In this respect, also, the ACCD is conducting an analytical study on the role of Arab NGOs in the implementation of the Arab childhood plan and obstacles related to that. The study will be presented in a general session during the third forum. Following this session, plan themes - education, health, protection, and participation- will be discussed in parallel workshops to come up with specific recommendations for the mid-term review of the Arab childhood plan.
In addition, the Arab children forum will be established, in parallel, to be a part of the civil society forum which will enable children to directly participate in recommendations, plans, and decision of the civil society forum. The aim of this is to provide children with a permanent sphere to; express themselves; show views in child related issues; communicate to decision makers and UN Secretary General Special Representatives in issues related to them.
The Third Forum is aiming at:
- Emphasizing the importance of the use of data in planning for children programs on a right based approach, and the role of NGOs in that, through presenting results of the regional study conducted by ACCD in this respect.
- Identifying the role of NGOs in the implementation of the Arab childhood plan through the presentation and discussion of the analytical study on this role.
- Guaranteeing an efficient participation of children in the civil society forum decisions and orientations through; the establishment of the children forum to be part of the civil society forum; demonstrating children role in data collection and planning; and organizing a roundtable inter/active discussion between children and the UN SRSG on VAC.
- Support for knowledge dissemination and flow of information between NGOs and the Arab society
Expected outputs of the Third Forum:
It is expected that; discussing the analytical study on the role of Arab civil society organizations in data collection and usage, and their role in the implementation of the Arab childhood plan; the attendance of the UN SRSG on VAC; Children participation in forum activities; and the establishment of Arab children forum, will lead to:
- Drawing attention to the importance of data for a wise planning based on child rights approach.
- Stressing the importance of cooperation between research institutes and civil society organizations for the optimum benefit of both expertise
- Issuance of definite recommendations that support data flow and usage mechanisms in the Arab world
- Formation of a scientific committee for practical methods for data collection on sensitive issues related to children in danger.
- Formation of a committee from Arab NGOs for the follow up on the UN Secretary General study recommendations, and for communicating with the UN SRSG on VAC
- Submitting practical remarks on the Arab childhood plan to the League of Arab States for the mid-term review of the plan
- Networking and information exchange between civil society organizations through the Arab civil society forum for children
- Launching the Arab children forum, and announcing its future plan of work.
The Arab Council for Childhood and Development (ACCD) is an Arab non-governmental development organization that has a legal entity and operating in the field of childhood under the presidency of HRH Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Talal Bin Abdul Aziz. ACCD was founded in 1987 upon the initiative of the late HRH Prince Talal Bin Abdul Aziz...read more